Here’s an easy Super Nut Cheese recipe that you can make in 10 minutes using only a blender. Made from 100% plant-based ingredients, it’s dairy-free, cholesterol-free, and vegan. Perfect with hot bread, mixed into soups for a flavor boost, as a dip, or even slathered on homemade lentil-mushroom burgers (for an improvised healthier ‘cheeseburger’).
As the main ingredient for a cheesy flavor, we use The Superfood Grocer’s Nutritional Yeast.
What is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast (not to be confused with baker’s yeast or brewer’s yeast) is a deactivated source of yeast grown on molasses. It has a subtle flavor that is typically used in recipes as a dairy-free cheesy flavor substitute. It’s a great source of Vitamin B12 (crucial for proper brain functioning), protein (equal to about half of its weight in grams), fiber, folic acid, and Vitamin B6. It is low in sodium, cholesterol-free, and saturated fat-free.
Don’t have nutritional yeast? If you don’t have Nutritional Yeast in your pantry and you live in the Philippines, you can order from The Superfood Grocer and have it conveniently delivered straight to your doorstep!
The longest ‘prep’ for this recipe will just be to soak your raw cashew nuts in water overnight or in hot water for 2 hours to soften (unless you already have these on hand in the freezer, ready for use). As for tools and equipment, you will only be needing a blender (preferably high speed, but regular ones will work too!), a spatula, and some measuring spoons.
Let’s get started!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight or in hot water for 2 hours until soft
- 1/4 cup [url href=”http://www.thesuperfoodgrocer.com/products/nutritional-yeast-manila-philippines” target=”_blank” title=”Where to buy Nutritional Yeast in the Philippines | The Superfood Grocer”]The Superfood Grocer’s Nutritional Yeast[/url]
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp light to medium brown miso paste (Available in the Asian section in supermarkets or in Korean groceries)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, lessen or add to taste
- 2 tbsp refined (deodorized) coconut oil (for a creamier texture)
- Blend all ingredients together. If using a non-high speed blender, blend at low to medium speed and regularly stop to scrape the sides with a spatula and mix. Blend again and repeat until smooth.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl or container. Can enjoy at once (softer consistency) or refrigerate to set for a more solid, spreadable nut cheese.
- Taste improves over time. Can store for up to 1 week (with the coconut oil).