A rich and creamy mac n cheese sauce that made non-vegans ask for more. We’ve made various cheese sauce recipes and trust us, this Vegan Mac n Cheese Recipes is a must try. The sauce is made with simple base ingredients, but the different flavours create this very rich and ‘cheesy’ sauce sans the actual cheese. And we gave mushroom bacon a go — oyster mushrooms baked with minimal oil until crisp.
The essential ingredients to most, if not all, vegan mac n cheese or cheese sauce recipes is definitely Nutritional Yeast for its cheesy flavour.
Nutritional yeast (not to be confused with baker’s yeast or brewer’s yeast) is a deactivated source of yeast grown on molasses. It has a subtle flavor that is typically used in recipes as a dairy-free cheesy flavor substitute.
Nutritional yeast is one of the best plant-based sources of Vitamin B12, crucial for proper brain functioning. It is also high in protein, accounting for half of its weight in grams. One tablespoon (8g) of nutritional yeast provides 4g of protein and will meet the recommended dosage for adults of Vitamin B12.
- 250 grams pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup SFG nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp miso paste, optional
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2-1 tbsp lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and combine until a paste is formed, around 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, non-dairy milk and salt.
- Stir occasionally over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Once sauce has thickened, turn off heat and mix in lemon juice.
- Add in pasta and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- 250 grams oyster mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Heat oven to 180C.
- In a bowl, mix mushrooms, oil and salt. Ensure that mushrooms are well coated.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place mushrooms and bake for 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- *Note: You can opt to fry the mushrooms.
Power up! Experience more energy, less cravings, faster recovery, stronger immunity, and a more vibrant, Supercharged you. Choose to live a Super life!
Click below to get started.